Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Distraction


Whoa!  Did you see that?  I'm just gonna look over here for a minute, and then I'll get back to work.  And now it's time to...

Holy cow!  That's amazing.  I need to read this article.  But I'll bookmark it and save it for later.  I'll read it later.  And I'll read this one later, and this one, and this one.  If I bookmark it, I'll forget about it, so I'll email the link to myself.  I'll email all these as links.

Wow, look at all the emails in my inbox.  Oh...they're from me.  Reminding me to read these articles which have nothing to do with anything I'm doing.  They seemed interesting at the time.  Why did I want to read that article again?  Delete.  Delete.  Delete.

Facebook!  Just five minutes to see how great everyone else's life is.  Everyone gets to go on vacation but me. Everyone is having the best summer and I'm just sitting here writing and complaining how hot it is.  But I'd never complain on Facebook.  I don't want people to think I'm not having a great time.

Let me check my calendar.  Whoops...that deadline is coming up.  I'd better get to work.  But let me just do a little online shopping first.  I wanted to check out that one website that have brand name shoes for discount prices and free shipping.  Wait, I can't afford to buy any shoes.  I'll just browse a little bit and then I'll get to work.

I'm getting to work.

I'm hungry.

I left dishes in the sink.

I have so much laundry to do.

I need to Google that restaurant so I can read their menu.

I should take a break.  Take a walk.  Get out from behind this desk.  

I'm hungry.

I'm tired.

It's 5pm.  I think I'm done for the day.


2 comments:

Fionna said...

Debbie, you could very well have been describing my inner monologue. Unfortunately, the only deadline I am facing is self-imposed (read:deadline is anytime between now and my death... flexible as I am soooo young��)

MikeB said...

What a funny post. I enjoyed reading it at 2:40 am. I decided to check your blog and found a post I had not read before. Why am I up this late? Because my friend parked his car in my driveway (with my permission) for a few hours. There was a spot on the driveway when he moved his car, but he claimed it was water. I went out at 1 am to look at it but it had not evaporated. Yup, you guessed it -- it was motor oil. I am up this late because I spent 1-1/2 hours trying to get rid of it. Well, it's still there, but not as bad as it was before my efforts.